The goal of our Society for Conservation Biology (SCB) Europe Section Blog is to share stories and relevant information about activities going on within our section and more broadly in the conservation community. Stories and articles shared on our blog should not be taken as an official position or statement of SCB or SCB Europe Section. Thank you for reading!

Thursday 14 November 2013

Candidates for the SCB-ES Board election - vote runs until 7th December

Running for the Europe Section Board are (left to right): Sarah Dalrymple, Raphaël Mathevet, Stefan Kreft, Anders P. Tøttrup, Barbara Mihok, Rustam Sagitov, Panu Halme, John M. Alley, and Francisco Moreira.

 

Sarah Dalrymple
I am a Lecturer in Conservation Ecology at Liverpool John Moores University, UK. My research spans threatened species management in response to global environmental change and bridges research, practice and policy. I co-authored the IUCN Guidelines for Reintroductions and Other Conservation Translocations (adopted by the Council of Europe) and I am developing policy documents for conservation translocation in Scotland. I am a qualified education practitioner and strongly believe that teaching and capacity building is an important contribution I can make to conservation science.
I was the first student member of the British Ecological Society Council (2004-2008) and continue to mentor and review grant applications. I am an IUCN Species Survival Commission and Commission for Education and Communication member and served on the review team that evaluated submissions to the 2012 World Conservation Congress. I am a respected member of the IUCN's young professionals network and UK Committee.
SCB Europe promotes conservation biology by supporting current members and increasing the capacity to address pressing conservation issues in Europe. I would add to these activities by using my BES and IUCN experience to increase the delivery of member-orientated services and my education and policy workwould contribute in areas where Board members are currently needed. Finally, the Board of Directors must be representative of the Society membership and include a balance of men and women; this won't happen unless women stand for election. I intend to lead by example in this regard and become an active and valued member of the BoD.

John M. Halley    
John Halley is Professor of Ecology at theUniversity of Ioannina, in Greece. Since beginning at Ioannina in 2007, he has worked widely to promote conservation in the region. He played a key role set up the University Field Station in North Pindos National Park, and organised conferences on the conservation of Lake Pamvotis of Ioannina as well as public lectures about Ecology and Conservation. He has also been involved in the Greek Summer School in Conservation Biology, taking over the organisation of GSS in 2012 from V.Kati (SCB-ES board member 2006-2010). He is a member of the board of HELECOS (Hellenic Ecological Society) since 2011 and served the SCB as a member of the Science and Publications Committeefrom 2008, stepping down this year. His research group is active and tackles problems ranging from the conservation role of sacred groves to the application of mathematics in the problem of extinction, publishing in prestigious journals such as Science, PNAS, and Conservation Biology.
“If elected, I will work to promote the SCB and the science of conservation biology especially in southern Europe and to get more people involved”.

Panu Halme
I am broadly interested in biological diversity and its conservation. I am currently studying many aspects of conservation ecology in forested ecosystems and cultural biotopes. On one hand, my focus is on the negative effects of human activities such as forest management, biofuel harvesting and other land use intensification. On the other hand I am studying the potential of different interventions to halt the current loss of biodiversity. These interventions include restoration, habitat management and conservation planning. Considering different species groups I am especially interested in fungal conservation, and my other target groups include for example insects and bryophytes. I work in close collaboration with conservation managers and other stakeholders.
Due to my expertise in fungal conservation I think that I could contribute in the activities of SCB Europe section especially as an expert of the conservation challenges of poorly known species groups. Moreover, I could present a boreal viewpoint to conservation of biodiversity in cultural habitats, and contribute also to forest conservation topics. I am willing to do my best and give my contribution for better planet and better conservation science!


Stefan Kreft
Born in 1971 in Germany, I am a biologist by training and currently researcher with theCentre for Econics and Ecosystem Management, Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development, Germany (www.centreforeconics.org). It was the impression of rapid land-use changes in South America that initially triggered my ever-growing conviction that conservation biology risks to be largely meaningless if scientists do not try to maximise involvement in policy-making of nature conservation in its widest sense. Thus, my research priorities have gradually shifted away from species conservation issues to ecosystem-based, participatory, adaptive conservation management planning. My colleagues and I strive for research outcomes as policy-relevant as possible. In many activities, we have addressed adaptation to climate change in particular, because we think climate change is an increasingly pervasive driver of changes in biodiversity, also through the changes of land-use it is embedded in. While in the last years I have been focusing on Europe, developing and transitional countries remain of great interest to me.
Being a member of the SCB since 2009, I have been part of the Roadless Areas Initiative of SCB-ES from its start. Since last year, I am member of the Policy Committee of SCB-ES. I enjoy working with people, and I would be happy to contribute both to long-term strategic development, including networking within the section and beyond, and dirty hands-on work of the BoD. I can also offer to serve as a link to the Policy Committee of our section.


Barbara Mihók
Barbara has an MSc in biology and compiled her PhD in forest ecology in Hungary. She studied for two years at the University of Oxford, gaining an Advanced Diploma in Environmental Conservation. Recently, she became involved in various interdisciplinary researches (assessment of ecosystem services, identification of research priorities and community-based conservation) and is active at the science-society interface.
She has been working for the Section as a part-time coordinator since 2008. As coordinator, Barbara runs most Section businesses, including networking within the Section, to the global Society and beyond. Her dedication and energy keeps the Section’s many activities running, from Board meetings, posting blog entries, facebook notes, to play significant role in the Section’s scientific output. For example she is co-author in the roadless paper (Environment Management, 2011) and in the Europe policy piece (Conservation Biology, 2009). She is the secretary of the Hungarian SCB chapter and member of the global SCB Chapter Committee. Barbara’s commitment to the SCB Europe is badly needed in the coming years.


Francisco Moreira 
I have a PhD degree in Ecology (Univ. of Lisbon) since 1996. During the first stages of my academic career, I carried out ecological studies on marine and estuarine fish. My PhD was on wetland bird ecology. In the late 1990s I have beencoordinator oftwo major conservation projects (financed by the EU LIFEprogramme) of threatened farmland birds, which raised my interest to the links between agricultural management and biodiversity conservation. This subject became a major scientific interest to which I later added a second one: forest fire ecology. I integrate the Centre for Applied Ecology, Institute of Agronomy, University of Lisbon, since 1997. My main research interests include (i) fire ecology and post-fire habitat restoration and (ii) relationships between agricultural policy (and management) and biodiversity. My track record can be checked at http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-2873-2008. I also teach conservation biology, landscape ecology and zoology in graduation and master courses. I’m member of the SCB ad-hoc working group for Mediterranean conservation. I am willing to devote some of my time to work for the Society, and I believe my Mediterranean experience may be of interest for the SCB. I have some previous experience in international cooperation as I was the Chair of COST Action FP0701 ‘Post-fire management in Southern Europe’ and the coordinator of the PHOENIX project centre of the European Forest Institute, a consortium of 25 research organizations carrying out research on fire ecology.


Rustam Sagitov    
Born 01.10.1950;
Graduated from Moscow State University, dept. of vertebrates zoology, in 1972;
1972-1975, senior researcher of lab of ornithology, Biological institute of Siberian branch of Academy of Sciences of USSR, Novosibirsk;
1975-1978, PhD student in Leningrad State University, dept. of vertebrates zoology, PhD dissertation "Ecology and population dynamics of Anatides in Chany lake region, Western Siberia";
1978-1989, assistant professor of Leningrad State University;
1989-till now, associate professor of St.Petersburg State University, dept. of vertebrates zoology;
performing courses: General zoology, Birds' taxonomy, International legislation on Nature conservation;
author and coauthor of over 100 publications;
1993 - till now official representative of Russia in HELCOM HABITAT working group;
2005-2010 - member of Environmental Advisory Council of EBRD;
2004 - International Baltic Sea Prize winner;
2006 - Title and award “Distinguished (Honorary) public figure of Nature Conservation of Russia”, granted by the Ministry of Natural Resources (9.11.2006 № 1031-k);
Unfortunately, in Russia neither in Academia nor in high school curricula there is no such a subject (discipline) as Conservation Biology, even though currently there is an obvious strong need for such applied field of knowledge. As a University teacher from one side and practical conservationist from the other, I would like to improve the situation in nature conservation in Russia and bring to the Society my experiences in nature conservation at national and international levels to the Society. I am ready to function as a board member.


Anders P. Tøttrup
I want to serve as board member of the SCB-ES because of my general interest in conservation, education and increasing networking between scientists, students and the public. I am especially interested in taking an active part in securing good student facilities and facilitate opportunities for MSc students interested in making a career within academia. Furthermore, I believe a higher level and quality of education is an important way forward in conservation of our natural resources and biodiversity in general and SCB makes this difference. My own research is focussed within two areas related to conservation: (1) evidence-based nature management and restoration. I have tight collaboration with one of the largest landowners in Denmark with who we are monitoring effects of different management changes on different scales across a large number of organism groups. (2) Conservation of migratory landbirds applying tracking technologies to achieve high quality data on movements at local and continental scales with the aim of studying habitat quality through assessment of suitability during all stages of the migratory life-cycle. Furtermore, being a teacher in BSc and MSc level courses in Conservation Biology as well as a 2-week summer school / PhD course in International Nature Conservation alongside with supervising BSc and MSc projects, I feel it is highly appropriate for me to take active part in the SCB work. Finally, I am a former board member of BirdLife Denmark and I am now acting chairman of the scientific committee.


Raphaël Mathevet 
Dr Raphaël Mathevet is an ecologist and geographer at the CNRS in the Centre d’Ecologie Fonctionnelle et Evolutive in Montpellier (France). He works on the conservation of biodiversity, protected areas and conservation planning tools, adaptive co-management, evaluation of public policies (agro-environmental schemes, Natura 2000, ecological network, nature reserve planning). Working on participatory approaches and decision-support modeling, he applies simulation tools and role-playing game in multidisciplinary approaches to resolving management conflicts, especially in the context of Mediterranean wetlands and natural resources management. His most recent work focuses on the concept of ecological solidarity, social representations and mental models, the human dimensions of green infrastructures. He is a regular lecturer on “Integrated management, Biodiversity conservation and dialogue processes” in several “GrandesEcoles” and French universities. He is also a member of several scientific committees at local, regional and national levels. He is a member of the Protected Areas’ commission of the French IUCN Committee, vice-president of the UNESCO MAB France Committee and a member of the international advisory committee for Biosphere Reserves of the UNESCO Man and Biosphere program. During the last decade he focused on science/management and science/policy interfaces at various decision levels. Raphaël now wishes to share his experience in the field of policy-making and human dimensions of conservation sciences and policy. He is keen to develop training on social sciences applied to conservation biology and assisting with the organization of the forthcoming ECCB 2015 to be held in Montpellier.

No comments: